For me, making pie with my mom is my favourite part of Thanksgiving. Being able to spend time with her as we knead cold dough between our hands in a kitchen full of intoxicating smells that waft through my childhood home cannot be replicated anytime else. I felt the weight of passing tradition from generation to generation as she patiently taught me to weave pie crust together years ago and still feel that sense of awe and appreciation whenever we bake together.
Shake up the expected and try out our take on a mixed fruit pie over a pumpkin pie this year. The pie is fairly simple to make (especially with pre-bought Duchess pie dough) and will be warmly welcomed to any holiday gathering.
pre-made pie crust
5 ripe peaches
1 cup of blackberries
3 ripe plums
the zest of one lemon
the juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg, ginger, and all-spice
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of cornstarch
The Simple Steps
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice and mix all the fruit into a large bowl.
3. Zest lemon on top of the fruit and then top fruit with fresh squeezed lemon juice.
4. Mix in sugar, spices and cornstarch with the fruit and set aside.
5. Split dough in 1/2 and roll out 1/2 the pre-made crust and place into the pie pan.
6. Fill the shell with the fruit making sure to pour in the juices from the bowl.
7. Roll out the other 1/2 of the dough into a thin sheet and use a knife to cut it into 1 inch strips.
8. Lattice weave the strips together to form the top of the crust and fold up the edges of the bottom crust by pinch sealing the top and bottom layer together.
9. Bake the pie for 45-55 minutes
10. Let cool for three hours and then enjoy. We recommend topping it with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream!