We’re all sick of this weather. That sneak peek spring sunshine earlier this month was just cruel. Winter takes such a toll on our skin, and there is no better way to take care of your skin and yourself with a facial at home while we wait for the snow to melt. Our girl Lauren takes us through her favorite rejuvenating facial routine.
(Click the links to shop this post and revitalize your at home facial!)
Time: 20-30 mins
What you will need (I’ll tell you my favorites below):
- Beautifully Scented Candles
- Wide, Shallow Bowl
- A Kettle
- Fragrance Oil
- Large, Fluffy Towel
- Face Cloths
- Gel or Milk Cleanser
- Balm Cleanser
- An Exfoliant
- Hydrating Mask
1. Gather everything above and disappear into the bathroom for 20-30 minutes. My favourite time is on a Sunday evening, cause really, what better way to kick start the next week than with a rejuvenating facial?
2. Get prepped. Light your candle and turn on some fun music. My favorite candles are Voluspa’s spring collection, it puts me right in the spirit for warmer weather. Heat the kettle with enough water to fill the bowl. This will be used to steam your face. I like to wear a tank top so I can apply product to my neck and décolleté.
3. Start with clean skin, use a gel cleanser like Indie Lee Rosehip Cleanser or milky cleanser like Caudalie Gentle Cleansing Milk to remove makeup. Use your Clarisonic to create a clean canvas.
4. Now we’re going to double cleanse. Scoop a glob of your balm cleanser (I love REN Rosa Centrifola) – not so much that it will make your skin slippy, just a bit grippy. Massage it gently over the face, neck and upper chest. Here is a great tutorial for a lymphatic drainage massage that will leave your skin rosy and radiant from beauty expert Caroline Hirons. Enjoy the warm tingly sensations of increased circulation that will heal and cleanse the skin from the inside out. Remove cleanser with water and a wash cloth. Some balm cleansers like to be removed with a dry cloth, so be mindful of the directions on your products.
5. The best part – time to steam! It is important to be very careful at this step. Pour boiling water into the bowl and add a couple drops of 100% Pure Vapour Bath oil to create an aromatic experience. Make a tent over your head with the towel and hide out, steaming your face neck and chest over the bowl. I like to hang out here until the water cools off, about 8-10 minutes.
6. Pat the sweaty steam droplets off your face with the fluffy towel (don’t rub – this can encourage wrinkles!).
7. Time to exfoliate. The steam has softened up your dead skin cells so they are easier to remove. Be gentle! If you are going to use an exfoliant with beads, make sure they are round and tiny. Salt and sugar scrubs dissolve as you scrub so they are a good option. Rough exfoliation with a scratchy material can cause irreparable damage to the collagen under your skin and make you age faster. For a scrub exfoliant, dip into your man’s collection of products and grab his Jack Black Face Buff exfoliant for a soft and invigorating feel. Another great option, use a chemical exfoliant that uses a gentle acid or enzymes to dissolve dead skin. My all-time #1 favourite is the REN GlycoLactic Mask. The pleasant smell, jammy texture and effective results keep me coming back every Sunday.
8. Now that we’ve exposed a fresh layer of skin, let’s welcome it into the world with a pampering mask. Since its winter and we’re all dehydrated from the cold, I suggest the Eve Lom Moisture Mask. Other great options are any of the Maskeraides (love that these come individually packaged so I can try them all out!), or the Farm House Fresh Chocolate Sundae CoQ10 mask (major anti-aging power!). The Maskeraides and Eve Lom Moisture mask can be left on the skin, which is great over night. Remove excess and massage product into the skin.
9. To seal it all in, apply a facial serum (like the amazing Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum) to hold in all the goodness you just applied. That’s it!
10. Before you head off to bed make sure you drink lots of water, as it provides essential hydrating inside. Get a good night’s sleep and when you wake up admire your radiant, beautiful self!